Celebrating the 2021 Campaign Donors and Volunteers
The Our Promise Campaign Raised Nearly $5 Million
Despite another challenging year for California, thousands of state employees continued to support their favorite causes through Our Promise: California State Employees Giving at Work in 2021.
“I’m honored to recognize my colleagues in state government for their hard work and commitment to the Our Promise program,” said 2021 Our Promise Co-Chair Josh Fryday, California’s Chief Service Officer.
“As public servants, we understand the value of collective work and contribution,” said 2021 Co-Chair Yolanda Richardson, former Secretary of California Government Operations. “We acknowledge the generosity our fellow state workers showed in their donations during the 2021 campaign.”
Thanks to the hard work and generosity of our state workers, the 2021 campaign raised $4.9 million from more than 23,000 state employees.
Join State workers making donations to RECOVER – REBUILD – REVIVE California in March. In this month-long celebration of giving, state employees can make a one-time gift to any 501c3 nonprofit of their choice.
Highlighting Our Promise Campaign Champions
Several volunteers from various agencies and departments received awards for their dedication to the Our Promise 2021 campaign.
The Leaders United Achievement Award recognizes an outstanding 2021 Leaders United Executive nominated by their peers. This year’s award went to Delia Bolinder of the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
The California Business, Consumers Services and Housing Agency was awarded the Outstanding Improvement Award, for the small department category. In 2021 this department had a 417% increase in participation and their hard work resulted in a 602% increase in dollars raised!
The California Department of Housing & Community Development was awarded the Outstanding Improvement Award, for the large department category. In 2021, they saw an 18% increase in dollars raised and an 8% increase in participation.
This year Our Promise ushered in a new award for Digital Innovation to the California Department of Child Support Services. The department’s Strategic Communications Team produced a PSA video that parodied the Matrix. Watch the video here.
Celebrating Our Promise Leadership
The following individuals were instrumental in helping state workers stay connected to the campaign, by innovating outreach approaches:
- Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency – Chair Emma Bliska
- California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office – Chair Melonie Dovolani
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation – Chair Sonia Mercado & Vice-Chair Krissi (Kristina) Khokhobashvili
- Labor & Workforce Development Agency – Chair Colton Stadtmiller
- California Lottery – Chair Tina Bliss
- California Volunteers – Chair Denise Gutierrez
- California State University, Sacramento - Co-Chairs Haley Dillon & Racquel Reber
- Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training – Chair Stacy Lam
- Delta Stewardship Council – Chair Julia Schmitz
- Department of Education – Chair Lori Hanks
- Department of Finance – Chair Jonathan Sneed
- Department of Food and Agriculture – Co-Chairs Mary Alexander & ThuyVy Truong
- Department of Insurance – Chair Jessica Junizar & Support Kristina Creel
- Department of Justice – Chair Trini Hurtado & Vice-Chair Lety Perez
- Department of Veterans Affairs – Chair Scott Smith
- Environmental Protection Agency – Chair Michelle Hutzel & Co-Chair Leticia Syslo
- Fair Political Practices Commission – Chair Jue Wang & Co-Chair Sasha Linker
- Government Operations Agency - Chair Reeta Hook
- Governor’s Office – Chair Vanessa Mercado
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development – Chair Angelina Cisneros* & Vice-Chair Brandi Sparks
- Governor’s Office of Emergency Services – Chair Ursula Harelson
- Governor’s Office of Planning and Research - Chair Joanna Sledge & Co-Chair Denise Gutierrez
- Health and Human Services Agency - Chair Eva Saechong & Co-Chair Harmindar Singh
- Lieutenant Governor’s Office – Chair Jeanelle Loui
- Military Department – Chair Terrell Zeidan
- Natural Resources Agency – Chair Jessica Haynes
- Office of Tax Appeals – Chair David Berry
- Office of the Inspector General – Chair Linda Whitney
- Office of the State Public Defender – Co-Chair Twanna Moore
- Secretary of State’s Office – Chair Ted Muhlhauser
- State Controller’s Office - Chair Lucas Rasmussen
- State Transportation Agency – Chair Gina Winston & Vice Chair Crystal Royval
- State Treasurer’s Office – Chair Kim Stevens* & Co-Chair Rita Clark
- Student Aid Commission – Co-Chairs Billy (Michael) Wagner & Humphrey Manacsa
- Public Utilities Commission – Co-Chair Grace Li
* No longer with the department.